Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Title: Application Development Engineer - Austin, TX
3M's Electrical Markets Division is seeking an Application Development Engineer for their Austin, TX location.
TheApplication Development Engineerwill develop opportunities and provide existing, new, or modified electrical materials solutions for transformer and motor applications, including liquid filled transformers. These solutions should build upon 3M products and technologies and improve the business unit’s market share in these targeted market segments. This includes understanding the customers’ product usage and design requirements, the applicable material and device level standards, and manufacturing application of the product solution. Should be able to direct and participate in specialized material testing and communicate to the customer in presentation and report formats. The person filling this position is an important representative of 3M Electrical OEM to our customers. The position requires good interpersonal skills in face-to-face, telephone, and written (e.g. e-mail) communications.
Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
* Work directly with 3M Sales and the customer to understand the customer’s key design criteria, problem, or need for a transformer or motor solution. Describe the customer’s need in terms of their product, their manufacturing requirements, additional products to be used, and applicable industry standards. Work with 3M Lab, Mfg., Marketing, and Sales team members to develop and refine design proposals based upon 3M products and technologies to solve customer problems and get a customer order.
* Participate in applicable industry organizations and serve on industry standards committees. Oversee required application, component, transformer, and motor level testing to prove 3M materials performance. Provide market intelligence for new transformer and motor applications and opportunities.
* Lead cross-functional teams to provide Class 3 product modifications needed to close on new business opportunities.
* Maintain awareness of comparable products in the industry and characterize how they compare with 3M Electrical OEM products. This includes developing a familiarity with competitors’ products’ strengths, weaknesses, and key characteristics.
* Provide training to internal and external personnel on Electrical OEM product features, advantages, benefits, limitations, performance, performance testing methods, safety, liability, application methods, application equipment, and applicable standards.
* Develop technical documentation to support proper use of Electrical OEM products with associated applications equipment (e.g. product applications briefs and equipment operating instructions) by doing or providing guidance on applicable material or device testing.
* Provide guidance on the organization of the technical Electrical OEM information used on 3M websites.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)
* Bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited University in engineering or another science or technical field
* Minimum 3 years combined work experience in the motor and / or transformer industries
* Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited University inElectrical engineering
* A demonstrated ability to understand and articulate performance requirements of transformer (dry and liquid filled) and motor applications
* Strong problem solving and communication skills
* Proven project management and team leadership skills
* Familiarity with systems and databases that are commonly used to manage customer technical inquiries and technical documentation is highly desired.
* Experience with MS Office, Adobe, and product data management systems
* The ability to manage multiple tasks at one time
* Ability to work effectively on cross functional teams (i.e. Customer Service, Manufacturing, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, International Labs, and Regulatory).
* A working knowledge of dry and liquid filled transformer and / or motor design and associated materials is highly desired.
* A working knowledge of product performance evaluation testing is highly desired.
* Abasic understanding of transformer and motor manufacturing equipment and processes is highly desired.
* A demonstrated knowledgeof UL, IEC, and other motor and transformer standards is highly desired.
EMD designs, manufactures and markets products for electrical construction, industrial maintenance, utility and industrial power, and electrical OEM components. EMD has more than 60 years of experience serving customers with highly reliable products, including electrical insulating and conductive tapes; flexible insulation; power cable splices and terminations; high temperature, low-sag transmission conductors; heat shrinkable tubing and molded shapes; electrical wire connectors, terminals, tools and lugs; wire marking products; portable labeling devices; cable ties; and electrical diagnostic and detection products.
EMD is part of 3M's Electronics & Energy Business Group based in Austin, Texas.
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $27 billion in sales, 3M employs about 80,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visitwww.3m.comor follow @3MNews on Twitter.