U.S. Army Medical Command Counseling Psychologist (Substance Abuse) in Fort Bliss, Texas
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:This position is located in the Department of Behavioral Health, Intensive Outpatient Program at William Beaumont Army Medical Center.
For almost two centuries, William Beaumont Army Medical Center (WBAMC) has provided care for eligible patients (currently over 95,000 Tricare beneficiaries). WBAMC health network includes six patient-centered medical homes throughout Fort Bliss, the El Paso community, and White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico. WBAMC, a Level III-certified Trauma center, supports El Paso County. The main hospital campus sits on half-a-million square feet of floor space and consists of twelve floors. WBAMC is easily accessible and offers ample free parking, a dining facility, barber shop, chapel, credit union, and more. WBAMC offers an array of programs in many medical disciplines and has close partnerships with higher learning institutions and the attached Veteran's Administration facility. WBAMC cultivates talented medical professionals into tomorrow's medical leaders through education and cutting-edge research. The staff members of William Beaumont strive to provide patient-centered, holistic care while promoting a safe environment of care in support of a System for Health that improves health and fitness in our community. WBAMC provides innovative, life-saving care to the largest power projection platform in the Army in support of any mission, anytime, anywhere. WBAMC is the clear choice for a superior, comprehensive System for Health. To learn more, visit www.wbamc.amedd.army.mil
El Paso is a jewel in the desert. Nestled between the rugged Franklin Mountains and the historic Rio Grande, this dynamic border community combines the advantages of a major metropolitan center with the ambience and neighborly charm of a modern western town. Just outside Fort Bliss' gates is "Sun City", the 19th largest city and one of the safest cities for one its size in the United States. The sun shines in El Paso approximately 302 days per year, earning it the nickname "Sun City." El Paso is a thriving big city of more than 800,000, with a great history and a tremendous spirit. From nature to culture to nightlife to shopping, there is something for everyone in El Paso. A true melting pot of American and southwestern culture, the combination is noticeable everywhere.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As a Counseling Psychologist (Substance Abuse), you will:
Utilize complex rehabilitation principles to conduct comprehensive substance abuse evaluations of eligible patients referred for consultation.
Collect data to evaluate treatment outcomes.
Develop and implement comprehensive treatment plans.
Provide individual, group, and family psychotherapy.
Document case findings, diagnoses, and recommendations in a clear and concise manner.
- Not Required
- A recruitment or relocation bonus may be authorized.
- May include shift work or rotating shifts (evenings, weekends, holidays).
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Requirement for Counseling Psychologist (Substance Abuse):
Degree: Two full academic years of graduate study directly related to professional work in counseling psychology, or a master's degree directly related to counseling psychology.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above, to qualify for this position you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
Specialized Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes conducting clinical assessments of substance abuse patients; formulating behavioral health treatment plans; and providing professional counseling to substance abuse patients. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-11).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
Licensure: A current, active, valid, unrestricted independent counseling/psychologist license from a U.S. State, District of Columbia, Commonwealth, territory, or jurisdiction is required.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- ABILITY TO CONDUCT ASSESSMENTS
- ABILITY TO PROVIDE TREATMENT
- SKILL IN CASE MANAGEMENT
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package. Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- A Childcare Background Check (CNACI) is required. This position has a specific initial background investigation and periodic re-verification requirements since its duties require contact with children.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
Position is designated as Inclement Weather Essential. The incumbent must make every attempt to report for work on time and/or remain on duty during severe weather conditions.
This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- All Health Care Providers must obtain and maintain current Basic Life Support (BLS) Training and certification that is sponsored or endorsed by the American Heart Association (AHA). Current Advanced Life Support or other advanced certification does not supersede BLS completion.
- Applicants must be able to fulfill credentialing requirements and obtain and maintain appropriate/relevant clinical privileges.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference, see the information in the Military Spouse Preference Under Delegated Examining Procedures information sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/472234200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $72,168.00 to $93,821.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0180-12/12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 472234200
Job Announcement Number: NCMD176527541974796EM