Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Requisition Number 12-0459
Post Date 12/24/2012
Title Commercial Analytics Intern
Job Family Commercial Operations
Employee Type Intern
Subject to DOT Regulations No
Percent of Travel Required 0
Relocation Provided No
Location Houston Office
Description Description of Role:
1. Perform analysis and enhance R software infrastructure for asset and commodity margin analysis.
2. Benchmark existing processes and identify areas for performance improvement.
3. Implement upgrades to existing components and develop new methods as required using R and SQL Server.
• Perform analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to electricity and natural gas markets, Transmission analysis, load forecasting, plant operations and dispatch, asset and contract commodity margins.
Support the continued development of:
• Calpine’s corporate views on the commodity markets and the inherent fundamental risk factors
• Models and tools used for power price forecasting, deal valuation & hedging, fundamental forecasting, and commodity margin forecasting.
• Managing data integrity for Calpine’s Commercial Analytics group.
• Calpine’s modeling infrastructure including asset and contract models as well as repositories of fundamental market data
• Exact summer projects will be determined at the time of the commencement of the internship.
Requirements • Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools, such as, R, Matlab, C++, SAS or similar programming environments to support fundamental analysis, pricing models, and data integration.
• Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (SQL Server Enterprise Manager, VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines.
• Team player who is used to diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address.
• Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically the independent power or utility sector, is a plus.
• Knowledge of US gas and electric market fundamentals, including supply and demand, environmental legislation, and regional market structures, is a plus.
• High degree of enthusiasm and drive
Candidate should be nearing completion of a bachelor’s or master’s degree in quantitative fields such as computer science, mathematics, statistics, industrial engineering and electrical engineering.
Calpine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer