HARRIS COUNTY Epidemiology Informatics and Reporting Unit Manager in Houston, Texas
The Epidemiologist -Data and Support Unit Supervisor oversees the data reporting unit and support staff, and is responsible for the continued implementation of MAVEN surveillance software and its administration thereafter. Applies analytical methods to data from a variety of subject areas and sources and maintains various data files. Assists in provision of data-driven information that contributes to the process of descriptive and analytic information routinely collected and reported regarding program evaluation, disease occurrence and emerging public health issues in the HCPH jurisdiction and Harris County. Assists in development of analytical plans that incorporate appropriate epidemiological and statistical methods and techniques that include the design of survey and data collection tools, execution of data collection, processing and simple to moderate analysis, and interpretation of results, to describe or solve epidemiologic questions.
Informatics and Data Analysis
- Spearheads and manages the implementation of MAVEN surveillance software, and works collaboratively with HCPH's IT department and contracted software vendor on design, implementation, and programming of the software.
- Administers and maintains both MAVEN and Insight surveillance software and associated databases.
- Along with other members of the data and reporting unit, produces routine reports, and upon request, regarding notifiable conditions and other emerging pathogens. o Runs routine data reports such as quarterly outcomes measures reports and summary reports for the HCPH website. o Administers and maintains the web-based flu portal and related accounts.
- Produces special reports and statistical analysis of epidemiological investigations to ensure readiness for responding to Bioterrorism, other outbreaks of infectious diseases, and other public health threats and emergencies. o Provides data support during outbreak response, including database development, data entry, and overseeing the data entry process during large outbreak investigations and assisting the epidemiologist in data management during smaller outbreaks.
- Conducts quality assurance assessments of the Surveillance Unit.
- Produces special reports and statistical analysis of epidemiological investigations related to volume, quality, and other metrics.
- Along with program leadership, helps to define ways to improve accuracy and timeliness of investigation processes and reporting.
- Responsible for providing technical expertise in statistical analysis and epidemiological methods and techniques in the Epidemiology Program as well as entering, cleaning, analyzing and reporting data gathered by the Epidemiology Program.
Performs data cleaning and recoding for annual creation of analysis files and assists in creation of documentation and guidelines for use. Unit Supervision
Supervises personnel in the Informatics and Reporting Unit.
- Responsible for recruitment, hiring, training and supervision of employees assigned to the Informatics and Reporting Unit.
Supervises and coordinates the support staff to assist epidemiologists in conducting communicable disease investigation for Texas notifiable conditions and investigation and control of outbreaks, including: o Collecting and registering of incoming reports into database/electronic surveillance system o Preparing morbidity reports for epidemiological investigation. o Coordinating with other health departments for morbidity referrals. o Obtaining medical records and laboratory reports from hospitals, physician offices and commercial laboratories. o Collecting specimens from patients for the purpose of communicable disease surveillance. o Scanning all morbidity reports into database/electronic surveillance system o Filing and organizing reports and retrieving reports upon request. Subject Matter Expert
Responsible for providing technical expertise in statistical analysis and epidemiological methods and techniques throughout HCPH as assigned.
- Responds as directed to requests for special reports, data analysis or presentations.
Ensures statistical validity and epidemiologic applicability regarding assigned projects. o Performs data extraction and analysis of health indicators to describe the health status of residents in the HCPH jurisdiction that includes data from various sources on morbidity, mortality, community infrastructure and program planning. Other Duties & Responsibilities
When needed, participates in investigations and provides intervention for epidemic or unusual community health related episodes or outbreaks, including those related to potential Bioterrorism agents and other related public health issues which develop the public health preparedness capacities of the section.
- When needed, acts as backup to the Deputy Epidemiology Program Manager, including attending certain meetings in their absence.
- Plays an active role in public health and emergency preparedness.
Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event. Requirements
Master's degree from an accredited college or university in Biostatistics/Statistics, Epidemiology, Public Health, or a related health or science field and
- Successful completion of fifteen (15) semester hours of college coursework in statistics or mathematics with at least six (6) of those semester hours in statistical methods, (i.e., research methods, research design/proposal writing or methods of processing mass statistical data such as methods of tabulation and/or electronic data processing).
- Two (2) years practical experience in the field of epidemiology or communicable disease control with prior experience in supervision and development of staff which must focus on collecting, computing and analyzing statistical data.
- Some prior experience with GIS mapping software.
- Intermediate or above ability to use statistical analysis software such as SPSS, SAS, STATA or comparable programs to extract data and analyze complex databases.
- Ability to use CDC packages such as EpiInfo; geographic information systems package such as Maplnfo or ArcView.
- Must have intermediate or better competence in Microsoft Office software, especially Excel and Access.
- Intermediate ability to display data and statistics graphically to demonstrate trends.
- Ability to work well with others and communicate effectively over the phone.
- Good writing skills.
- Ability to work independently but collaboratively with the Epidemiology Program Director (Senior Epidemiologist) and the Chief of Disease Control & Medial Epidemiology.
- A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and reliable personal transportation.
- A copy of transcripts will be required at time of departmental interview.
NOTE: *To qualify for this position, required experience, education and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but *we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration. Preferences
- Proficiency with MAVEN and/or Insight Epidemiology Module and Crystal Reports. General Information
- 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. / Monday - Friday
May require periodic overnight, or out of county, travel and long work hours or overtime during emergencies and disasters. *SALARY: *
Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
**Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Understands the organizational mission.
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust.
Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others. Collaboration
Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group.
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs.
Establishes collaborative relationships and projects. Innovation
Ability to adapt to change.
- Able to manage change.
Adept at framing issues. *Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics *
Uses sound judgment.
Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity. Communication
Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Written and verbal English competency.
Able to read and follow directions. Analysis/Research Skills
Understands cost-benefit analysis.
- Understands decision analysis.
Able to conduct budget/fiscal analysis/financial management. Planning
Understands spatial analysis (physical, social, economic, demographic).
- Understands systems analysis and design.
- Knowledgeable about project design and planning.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Job Number: 02350
Department: Public Health Services
Closing: 9/11/2017 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 170 Houston, Texas, 77002.