USAA Director in San Antonio, Texas
Purpose of Job
Manages and develops a team and/or multiple teams and processes in the end-to-end delivery of complex, accurate and timely financial and/or regulatory reporting. Owns the prioritization, preparation and review of complex regulatory reports and analyzes new and proposed changes to regulatory reporting requirements to determine the impact to USAA. Directs team members during audits and examinations and serves as the primary liaison to internal and external auditors and regulatory examiners.
We are seeking a talented Director of External Reporting for our San Antonio, TX facility.
- Manage a team and processes in the preparation and review of financial statements and related disclosures ensuring compliance with Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) and usefulness of financial statements to management, regulators, and other users/readers. Financial statements are required for multiple stand-alone legal entities for companies/businesses that span multiple financial services facets under various regulatory regimes (including, but not limited to, banking, insurance and broker dealer)
- Partner with accounting, other finance teams, legal and business partners in identifying changes in the business or other items with potential financial reporting impact
- Prepare, communicate to stakeholders and actively monitor financial statement deliverables.
- Manage internal and external reviews of all financial statements (subject matter experts, legal, senior management, disclosure committee, auditors).
- Ensure appropriate controls over financial reporting are appropriately designed and operating.
- Manage the communications with external auditors on financial statements to ensure auditor agreement with company decisions on accounting disclosures and related matters.
- Manage coordination of the annual audit, quarterly reviews and test of controls activities of the external auditors.
- Partner with Accounting Policy to monitor, assess impact to USAA, influence, and implement new and proposed changes to financial reporting requirements. Communicate these changes to management, business partners (ie, internal and external audit, treasury, compliance and legal, etc) to ensure appropriate discussion and execution of requisite actions.
- Provide direction to and manage performance and development of employees.
- Participate on special projects and perform other tasks as assigned.
- Eight plus years of experience including one or more of the following: External Reporting, Accounting, Internal Financial Reporting, Public Accounting or related work experience.
- Three plus years of direct people management leadership experience (or demonstrated project/matrix leadership)
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree
Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business Administration (MBA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Experience pertaining to Insurance (including Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP))
- Ability to coordinate and work closely with other Directors in impacted business units, including the lines of business, legal and compliance.
- Prior experience in state insurance reporting requirements related to required filings and supporting requests from regulatory authorities.
- Ensure timely filings by monitoring and overseeing the team’s quarterly filing deadlines including related controls and key processes.
- Strategic thinker that can come with point of view and initiate needed action.
Selected candidates will attend and complete the Management Development School program in San Antonio, TX, during their first six months in position.
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 10/18/17 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Director TX-San Antonio R0013358