MD Anderson Cancer Center Phlebotomist, Extern in Houston, Texas
Location: United States, Texas, Houston, Houston (TX Med Ctr) at https://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/12730/other-jobs-matching/location-only
Allied Health at http://mdanderson.referrals.selectminds.com/landingpages/allied-health-opportunities-at-md-anderson-cancer-center-9
Pathology/Lab Medicine 710412
Requisition #: 116979
The Section of General Services includes the specimen collecting service (inpatient and outpatient). All specimen collections for laboratory tests on blood and urine are coordinated by personnel in these areas on a 24/7-hour basis. Specially trained individuals are scheduled to coordinate and perform venous and arterial punctures, collect blood from central venous catheters (CVCs), and perform glucose screening. All staff in the section are responsible for collecting blood for research protocols, which have been approved by the Center Medical Director. The responsibility of the General Services Section is not only to collect specimens on a routine basis but also to ensure consistent phlebotomy quality and to evaluate new specimen collection devices, collection processes, and transport receptacles. Translational/Research goals have been largely confined to the areas of Process analysis and Clinical Safety and Effectiveness.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Performs phlebotomy procedures in a competent manner
- • Demonstrates competency via direct observation and assessment for the following phlebotomy procedures:
o Central Venous Catheter Blood Collection
o Arterial Puncture
o Blood Culture Collection for Bottles and Isolator Tubes
o Bleeding Time
o Isolation Room Procedures
o Age Specific Skills
• Completes assignment without undue reliance on others.
• Achieves productivity standard of the section.
• Assists with problem solving.
• Attends continuing educational programs.
• Assists with the training of new hires and students
Adheres to applicable policies, procedures, and protocols
- • Performs all phlebotomy procedures in accordance with the section’s procedure manual.
• Accurately identifies patient and collects the correct specimens.
• Maintains specimen integrity by collecting and transporting specimens in a timely manner.
• Completes records (electronic and paper) and files as appropriate.
• Assists co-workers as required.
Complies with all safety policies
- • Assists in ensuring a safe environment for patients, co-workers, and visitors.
• Utilizes all equipment and supplies in a manner that ensures safety to patients, co-workers and self.
• Wears protective attire and personal protective equipment in accordance with regulatory, institutional, and divisional requirements.
• Participates in all required safety training.
Other duties as assigned
High school diploma or equivalent and completion of a specialized phlebotomy training program. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html