HealthPRO - Heritage 2018-19 School Year Sign Language Interpreter in Killeen, Texas

Large school district needs a Sign Language Interpreter for the 2018-2019 school year. Students age range between 7-16 years old. This job primarily serves as In Classroom Interpretation.

A sign language interpreter converts spoken language into sign language. An interpreter may work for schools, hospitals or government agencies. Strong skills in both English and sign language are needed for a career as an interpreter, and degree programs in American Sign Language (ASL) and sign language interpreting are available. Fields like communications or English are also good choices. Interpreters typically need a bachelor's degree, though some associate-level programs are also offered. Professional certification is available, though voluntary.

A sign language interpreter is responsible for helping deaf or hearing-impaired individuals understand what is being said in a variety of situations. An interpreter must understand the subject matter so he or she can accurately translate what is being spoken into sign language. Whenever an audience will be in need of sign language interpretation, a sign language interpreter is provided, such as during an office meeting, in a court room or at a presidential speech. Interpreters may also be used in one-on-one situations; they might use technology to provide services from a remote location.

The main job duty of a sign language interpreter is to translate the spoken word into sign language. Carrying out this main duty requires listening, sign language and communication skills. An interpreter may also have to do research if he or she is working in a situation involving highly technical information or complex information to gain an understanding of what will be interpreted. A good memory is also important since an interpreter will need to remember what has been said in order to sign it

Bachelor's degree is typical; associate programs also available

Certification varies based upon state rules and regulations

According to O*NET OnLine, most employers require sign language interpreters to have a degree or vocational training ( Some colleges offer American Sign Language(ASL) programs as a foreign language option. This allows students to get a degree in English, communications or a related field, while also getting the necessary training in ASL. Students may also earn an associate or bachelor's degree in ASL or sign language interpreting.

State certification may be required by employers as each state has their specific guidelines. There are several organizations that offer general interpreting certifications, but the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) offers certification specifically for sign language interpreters. The RID offers the Oral Transliteration Certificate for those who can demonstrate sign language interpretation skills (

The RID and the American Translators Association offer mentoring programs for ASL learners. Hands-on training builds confidence and mastery of skills to help further a career as a sign language interpreter

Requisition ID: 2018-11144

External Company Name: HealthPRO Management Services, Inc.

External Company URL:

Full Name: First Last: Kerri Ann Kerley

Number: 224-616-5439